Thursday, March 5, 2009

Doodling

my living room

When I decided to do the JET Programme and come to Japan instead of work in an architecture firm and gain experience in my field, I told myself that I would be as productive as possible with all of the free time everyone told me I would have.

Well, everyone was telling the truth when they were talking about that free time. Me being productive with my time? That's a different story.

But I haven't been completely lazy and today I had some fun doodling in my sketchbook. I've been wanting to discover or stumble upon new techniques for sketching or drawing and the other day, the idea of drawing everything in the fish-eye perspective popped in my head.

I'm not that good at drawing for an architecture major, so it took me awhile to figure things out for a simple 1-point perspective. After that, it took me awhile to figure out how to do 2-point perspectives.

I'm not sure if there's a set technique for doing this like there is for constructed perspective drawings, but the way I just made up for myself seems to work fine!



Like I said, I ain't that good. But enjoy!

figuring out the 1-point perspective - that's my bathroom. that's right, i use the japanese-style squatter toilet just as it is. no western toilet extensions for me.

could NOT figure out the 2-pt on my own so i searched images on flickr and quickly sketched them to get an idea of what's going on

for some reason, doing an interior (looking into the corner of a room), as opposed to a street corner that comes out at you, was also really hard for me to grasp

i noticed the lines in the ceiling of the bottom pic 2 pictures above and got an idea!
guidelines created from intersecting circles!


and from there, just more experimenting, figuring things out, and having fun

like i said, nothing amazing but fun!

coloring is fun. even with just a #2 pencil.

this one looks kinda weird. hilly.

trying to do something not involving the street

I hope someday I can just free-hand this stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Darryl! Wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday! Tajobi omedeto gozaimasu! How will you spend your birthday tomorrow? Too bad we couldn't send you these wishes a few hours later when it would be both your and Darren's birthdays.

    Love and Okole Maluna! Mom, Dad and Darren

    ReplyDelete