Friday, April 3, 2009

A Simple Compliment Goes a Long Way

posing with one of the guys in the office

Drinking parties with the people you work with in Japan have a special culture to them that all foreigners love to talk about.

That guy at my school never spoke to me once - I actually thought he didn't like me - and then at the party the other night, he just came up to me to talk and his English was amazing!

...or something to that effect. These drinking parties are often the few times in the year where we, the ALTs, get to really interact with, learn about, and get to know the people in our office.

My office (I work at a Board of Education office as opposed to a school) is really laidback and everyone is really friendly actually, but because unlike us (the ALTs), everyone is typically busy, we don't often get the chance to hang out and talk. That's why these parties are so great and I love them.

us and our supervisor! he's at a new office now

Last night was the farewell party for all of the people leaving our office. The whole time I've been working here, I always noticed that one of the guys (he was leaving) from the accounting section always wore pretty nice ties, or he at least matched them well. I never spoke to him before - I never had any reason to do so, really - but tonight, with the alchohol flowing and the party coming to an end, I walked up to him.

Hey! We've never had the chance to talk, but I just wanted to tell you that I love the ties you're always wearing. They're great!

Ohhh, thank you so much! Ah you know what? Here! You can have my tie!

Dannng, thanks! Wait, what's your name? I'm Toma.

Oh, I'm Ikuta.

And I became the owner of a new...er, used tie.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA! He just gave you his tie b/c you complemented him? These stories are great!

    ReplyDelete