Monday, April 13, 2009

Kaho Gekijou meets Hip Hop


Busy weekends like these make me truly appreciate the other weekends I occasionally have where I just sit at home all day and relax.


On Saturday, my friend's dance school was having its 15th anniversary dance showcase event. The cool thing about it was that they rented out a traditional Japanese theater for the venue, so it was my first time seeing one.


My friend needed people to help out with "pushing a huge thing for the stage." That's what she told me - I had no idea what she was talking about, but I figured I'd help out anyways. When I got there on the day of the first rehearsal, I found out what it was:


The stage actually sits on an axle that allows it to rotate and turn. Below the stage, there are 12 wooden poles attached to the device and when pushed, the stage rotates (you can see the circular shape on the stage in the other pictures). I think they said that the stage was about 500kg but either way, it was pretty heavy, not to mention with the added weight of the dancers on top. The very first time we tried, we realized we couldn't even get the thing going unless someone shouted a "1, 2, 3 GO!" signal. Pushing this thing with 11 other people brought to my mind images of slaves below the deck rowing a Viking boat or Israelites building the Pyramids. This was a little more fun, though.




On another note, I'm always impressed by how Japanese people do such a good job at dressing right for the occassion. The childrens' hairstyles, costumes, everything were crazy!


3 comments:

  1. man seeing those pictures and the nice stage lighting just reminds me of how our 2007 n'motion performance got screwed up in the middle when the lights went dark. oh well.

    how'd u guys move that thing steadily enough for the kids not to trip up while dancing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YO DARRYL! mann i've been slacking following your blog. haha that's awesome though, musta been fun.

    funny Peter, cause i've spent the last few days looking through out n'Motion videos on youtube. does anyone have the one we did in all red, with the band? YS, Simon, Peter, Darryl and myself.. i think it was 2007?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think simon might've taken video of that one with his video camera...maybe? don't remember seeing it

    ReplyDelete