Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Ultimate Planner...sort of

In an effort to become more organized with my (and some other person's) life, I realized that despite how good my cell phone calendar is, and despite how good google calendar is, sometimes I just need a physical, tangible reminder of what's coming up.

As a result, I decided that I need a planner!!



But thinking back to when I used to use the free JET Programme planner that was given to us, I remembered how I rarely used it because of its awkward proportions and just because of the fact that I didn't want to carry around JUST a planner. Remembering those things, it got me thinking...

What do I really need in a planner? Why didn't I carry around the JET Programme planner?



And eventually, I came to this conclusion:

Hey, I'm a designer, so why don't I just design my own planner?



And thus, I began my journey to design the planner perfect for myself.



I began to brainstorm, trying to figure out my own thoughts and understand what exactly it was that I needed and wanted in a planner. After some brainstorming and some research involving looking at other planners, I figured out what I wanted:
  • something that was comfortable to carry and even more important, something that was easy to open up and write in (some planners are so small and thin that you have to force them to stay open, thus making them difficult to write in)
  • something that provided me with space to sketch, to doodle, to journal, etc.
  • more specifically, i realized i didn't need a page for every week
  • along the same lines, a 2-week page or 1-month page would be good
  • and i would like a space for general weekly/monthly notes

With that, I began doodling and experimenting with different layouts and ways of organizing things. I realized along the way that organizing a page layout is very similar to organizing space in a plan or section for a room or building, as well!



With these thoughts, I stumbled upon a number of layouts and designs, some better than others, some more successful than others, and some just straight up cooler than others.

Here's the result of the 2 week process, done slowly over 2 weeks:



those first 2 were supposed to be "full scale sketches" but i figured i'd just try them out and see how they work out. after drawing those 2 out, i brainstormed a little more and eventually was able to break away from the rigidity that accompanies typical planners.

the following pages haven't really been used yet or sketched on.








Fun stuff! May 25th to June 5th might be a little hectic, though...hehe

Come August, when I'm completely finished with every page, I'll be able to see how each page has transformed with the addition of doodling, random notes, and scheduling. Just like any architectural design, a space fully-utilized, bustling, is something completely different from when it was just completed and not in use yet; and so it is with this blank planner.

3 comments:

  1. I like! Though the axon/perspective one is a little disorienting. I think you could have definitely done viscom. ;) When are you in Japan til? Plans thereafter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, in a way, yeah they do.

    ReplyDelete